CA Expects Heavy Termite Year
"Termites cause more than
It is estimated that one in 30 homes nationwide may be infested with termites, and termite damage is usually not covered by homeowners insurance.
Termites enter homes through tiny openings in the home's foundation. Smaller than a grain of sand, these pests can slip through cracks as thin as a few sheets of paper.
"Termites can remain in homes for years, unnoticed by homeowners," Tejeda said. "A professional inspection once a year will help limit prolonged damage."
Antimite offers these signs of infestation and prevention tips:
Signs of termite infestation
- Winged termites and/or discarded wings near doors and window sills.
- Mud tubes: above ground hollow, drinking-straw-sized roadways for termites.
- Wood which, when tapped, sounds hollow or pushes in under light pressure.
- Termite droppings: tiny mounds of discarded waste with the appearance of sawdust and pepper
Termite prevention tips
- Have the home inspected by a trained professional at least once a year.
- Fix roof or plumbing leaks. The moisture from these leaks allows termites to survive above ground.
- Ensure gutters drain properly and direct moisture away from foundations.
- Eliminate all wood-to-soil contact around the foundation, keeping firewood or other wood debris from being stacked against the side of the home.
- Keep mulch or soil away from the home's siding. It's best to have a barrier of a few inches.
- Remove items like scrap lumber, boxes and even old books or newspapers from crawl spaces.
- Maintain adequate ventilation in crawl spaces.
- Use a mesh screen on all windows, doors and ventilation openings.
About Antimite Pest Control
Antimite Pest Control has provided pest control services and protection against termites, rodents and other pests in the
SOURCE Antimite Pest Control
|Source:||PR Newswire Association LLC|