Royal's mother and sister escaped unharmed, but the family dog perished, Allen said.
A neighbor's barking dog helped prevent further tragedy when the house caught fire near downtown
"A neighbor's dog was barking and the lady woke up and saw the house next door on fire," Sills said.
She alerted authorities, but Royal was not able to escape quickly and suffered burns, Sills said.
"This is the time of year for house fires," said Sills, noting the change in the weather.
"Investigators are looking at the front porch area as the origin," Allen said. "There were some electrical cords on the front porch."
Royal was airlifted to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in
Her condition was not immediately available.
(c)2016 The Macon Telegraph (Macon, Ga.)
Visit The Macon Telegraph (Macon, Ga.) at www.macon.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.