|Targeted News Service|
Approximately 115,000 (46 percent) of
Non-exempt interstate and intrastate drivers must provide a current medical examiner's certification along with any waivers required to maintain commercial driver status. Exempt interstate and intrastate drivers do not need to provide a medical examiner's certificate but do need to complete a self-certification form. The deadline to provide all documentation is
Commercial driver heart attacks or other physical impairments lead to 3,000 crashes nationally each year and many result in fatalities or serious injuries, according to
CDL holders not in compliance on
How to Self-Certify
CDL holders need to:
* Check the status of the driver's license online at http://bit.ly/d3r8zL. If "Self-cert" is not listed, then a Self-Certification form must be submitted.
* Complete the Commercial Driver License Medical Self-Certification Form (PS33203)
* If a CDL driver certifies that they are subject to medical examination requirements, they must provide a copy of their Medical Examination Report (PS30158) and any required waiver (Insulin-treated diabetes, vision, seizure/loss of consciousness, limb impairment).
* Submit a completed self-certification form and, if applicable, a current medical examiner's certificate, to DVS via mail, fax or in person to any driver exam station or driver license office.
These forms can be found on the DVS Website at dvs.dps.mn.gov.
Visit the DVS Website at dvs.dps.mn.gov for more information on how to self-certify, for definitions of interstate and intrastate commerce, along with information about medical certification requirements. CDL drivers can also call 651-205-4908.
Categories and medical examiner's certificate requirements are determined by the Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) and state statute.
About Driver and Vehicle Services
DVS has initiated the
Driver and Vehicle Services Highlights
* Annually, DVS conducts more than 500,000 written and road tests, and issues about 3.8 million licenses. It also registers 4.3 million vehicles and issues about 1.3 million titles.
* Web-based services include driver's license status check, registration renewal (tabs) and test scheduling.
CC AutoTriage9as-131113-30FurigayJane-4546903 30FurigayJane
|Copyright:||(c) 2013 Targeted News Service|