|By Walt Nett, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, Texas|
|McClatchy-Tribune Information Services|
The suit, filed
A man in the room, 59-year-old
The motel is owned by
A man who spoke on the telephone at Patel's telephone number refused to identify himself and referred an A-J Media reporter to "my insurance agent."
According to the lawsuit, a hotel employee entered the room after repeated knocks on the door and telephone calls went unanswered.
Gas heating was used to warm the rooms at the motel, which, according to
The suit alleges the owners were negligent in failing to inspect and maintain the gas heater in Ruth's room, failing to train employees to remedy the situation and failing to install carbon monoxide detectors in the motel's rooms.
Fire officials said there were no carbon monoxide detectors or smoke detectors in the room. Smoke detectors are legally required, but carbon monoxide detectors are not.
The lawsuit asks that damages in the case be determined at trial.
(c)2014 the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal (Lubbock, Texas)
Visit the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal (Lubbock, Texas) at www.lubbockonline.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
We have detected that you are using an adblocker. The revenue we earn by advertisements allows us to publish quality content on InsuranceNewsNet.com.
If you wish to enjoy our content, please disable your adblocker and click the button below.
We hope you choose to whitelist our website and enjoy the content our team works hard to publish.